Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Homemade powdered detergent- UPDATED

Today I mixed up a batch of powdered laundry detergent. I got the recipe from here. I have read about homemade detergents for years, both in books and online but haven't ever managed to make it. Before I left NC, I had bought all the ingredients and finally today got around to mixing it up. Normally all you read about is liquid detergents but I didn't feel like spending that much time on it so decided to try powdered out. I will let you know how I like it and how it worked for me in a couple of weeks after I have time to really test it. Here is the recipe: Powdered Laundry Detergent I doubled the batch. 2 cups Fels Naptha soap, finely grated. (for me 1 bar of Fels Naptha made right at 4 cups) 1 Cup washing soda (not baking soda) 1 Cup Borax Mix well & store in an airtight plastic container. Use 2 Tablespoons per load. Here is what mine looked like. I probably will try to do the liquid next time but we shall see how this works first. See update below


UPDATE
I love it and now this is all we use. I found a way to make it a bit easier though, instead of grating the soap, I cut it into small chunks (about 5-6 per bar) and microwave the chunks for 3 minutes. The soap will swell up. I let it cool completely (otherwise it goos up on you) and once its cool, I just crush the chunks in my hand. The grandkids love this part since they get to help crush :). now I mix it a big batch at a time so it lasts for several months.

3 bars Fels-Naptha laundry soap, crushed to a powder
1 Box of Borax
1 Box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
3 Containers of powdered Awesome Oxygen Cleaner ( I get this at the Dollar tree for $1 a container)
1 container of Purex Crystals (this isn't necessary but I like the scent it adds) I get the ones for Babies.

mix it all in a bucket ( I have a 5 gallon bucket with lid) and just shake it all together. I put it in a smaller container by the washer and just refill the container as needed. Each time I give the bucket a shake before refilling just in case it settles. I have given samples to friends and family and every one loves it and raves on its cleaning power.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Butterfly Acres. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase