Pages

Friday, September 26, 2014

Fibromyalgia and Savella



My rheumatologist diagnosed me, two years ago with fibromyalgia. I have known others who had it but until you have it yourself you can't honestly understand what it is like. Everyone talks about the fatigue and the joint pain. For me it is a constant hurt everywhere. If there is the slightest wrinkle in the sheets, I can't sleep because it hurts me and feels like I am on a boulder. If someone pokes me, it feels as though you knifed me. The dr tried me on several medicines and they didn't help me at all so I quit taking them.
In May I was reading about a different medicine that I hadn't tried before and sure enough when I went to my doctor complaining about the fibro pain, she asked if I had ever tried Savella. I told her no but that I had just been reading about it. She gave me a sample pack of 25mg pills to take home and try.  I can't answer for how this might help others but for me, this drug was a miracle. By the second pill, I was so much better. The constant hurt everywhere was gone. I was able to do so much more than I have done in ages. We have went swimming this summer and I swam for hours. Prior to taking Savella, if I did any kind of exercise even light walking, I would hurt for 2 or 3 days afterwards. I have been able to do so many fun things with the grandbabies this summer.  I feel like someone had given me my life back. I tell everyone I know who isn't getting relief from the medicine they are on, to check into Savella. I still only take the 25 mgs a day unless its a bad muscle pain day and then I will take a second 25mg at night.
My insurance will not cover the cost of Savella (it was going to be around 200 a month with no insurance) but thankfully the company Forest Pharmaceuticals has a program to help cover the cost. I applied and was approved but there was still about 11 days I had to wait to get my pills. Those were the most awful days. I had forgotten how terrible the pain was all over. I was barely able to function. I just thank God daily for my doctor giving me a sample to try and for the company helping me get the medicine.
I wrote this so that someone else might possible get the same benefit I have from this medicine.

Do you or someone you know suffer from Fibromyalgia?

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Butterfly Acres. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase