Wednesday, January 16, 2013
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
Which of these words would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
I have a bucket list and I love that idea so I don't want rid of it. I despise the yolo so thats my vote. I don't like the idea even because I feel a lot of people have taken the thought and ran with it and use it as an excuse to just do whatever they want regardless of how it affects others. You might only live once on Earth but that is not a reason to hurt others just to make yourself happy.
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
I don't honestly think I have ever rode a real train, just like little trains around theme parks. I used to ride the Metro to DC if that counts as a train. We used to live in Warrenton and would go to DC often to sightsee way back in the early 1990's.
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?
I love bagels, plain with just cream cheese. Oddly enough they never taste as good as they do when I stay in a hotel even when I buy the same brand. Must be the vacation atmosphere.
4. Tis the season of awards shows....if you could star in a movie already made, which one would you choose?
Something classical like Gone With the Wind or the Wizard of Oz, to be part of the magic of either and meet Vivian Leigh, and Judy Garland.
5. The move towards single gender classroom has been making the news in recent months...what say you? Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
I think this is one of those things where theory wise it seems like a good idea but I totally agree that separate is never equal. I think it would start out equal and rapidly disintegrate into inequality. I feel that history has showed repeatedly that separate can never be equal.
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Ordinarily I would say just being on vacation since every time I have stayed on vacation has at least been a mini vacation but after my last trip, I would say the bed. We stayed at a Super 8 in Wheeling WV and they had the most awesome beds every. My daughter agreed it was the most restful night of her life. It certainly rivaled the Hampton Inns I have stayed at.
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
Its only been in the past few months I even heard of people using this so no I don't think I have a "word" for this year. If I were to choose one I think it would be miraculous. Last year was the worst year of my life and I feel that God has great things in store for me personally this year. Its starting off with a not such great outlook but I think thats just smoke and mirrors.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
My day started on a good note because I got on the scales and had lost 10 lbs so far. I have been trying not so much to diet as to find a new way of life. I have been overweight my whole adult life so I need to change my thinking and find a new path. So my thing so far has been new choices. An example being that I love pizza and so I have been making this mini pizzas out of tortillas but today I realized that they aren't filling at all so I always eat too many of them because they are really like a snack. Its basically been doing an eat this instead of this plan so far.