Pages

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Derecho-June 29th 2012

I finally got power again after the Derecho storm of last Friday June 29th 2012. We were without power for 8 long hot humid days. The storm came suddenly and just ripped trees out of the ground by the roots. I haven't ever seen anything like it and I hope to never again. You couldn't buy gas or anything for 3 days because we were completely without power everywhere. We drove for hours searching for ice. I missed 2 days of work and then finally made it the last two hoping that there was power and water at work. Wrong. Every day was hotter and more humid than the day before. Some days it was over 117 degrees in the trailer. We started staying out all the time until we were all sunburnt. I would try to sleep only to wake up with my hair soaking wet with sweat. We would go to the cooling shelter for a few hours a day so we could breathe for a bit and charge cell phones. Maybe this will help people be more grateful for the small blessings but I doubt it.  The storm traveled close to 700 miles in 10 hours, devastating 10 states and leaving more than 4.3 million customers without electric service.  I am so grateful that we have water, power and internet again.
  Here are a few pictures I took before my camera died and I wasn't able to charge it up again.
                      This was the storm beginning for me.

Trees down near my home.


Power lines down so thats why no power for so long



Using the snow plows to help get trees out of the road.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Butterfly Acres. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase